Sunday, 8 April 2012

The Standard Living Cost Differences (Germany+Indonesia)



Talking about the dissimilarities of living cost between in Indonesia and in Germany might be able to bring us into being astounding, because the mostly reality of living cost in Germany hasn't many disparities with the living cost in Indonesia.
Here I wanna bring you to find out a little bit its differences.
The special city of Indonesia which I will be using my previously living cost in Yogyakarta to be my measuring instrument and to compare the living costs of a couple cities in Germany where I was.

Yogyakarta is the only one small famous city in Indonesia with the cheapest standard living cost for students and called also as the city of student.You can meet with students from another cities of the whole Indonesia there and it belongs also the tourist city instead of Bali.

When I was doing my Senior High School/Abitur (Germ.) in Yogyakarta for 3 years, I still remember how much Euro (€) I needed to cover my living cost a month there.

  • A rented room per month / Miete (German Word) :  circa IDR 200.000 or it's just about 15,38 €
  • Estimate of food costs per month : approximatel IDR 620.000  or it's just around 47,70 €
  • The monthly Accommodation fee : about IDR  336.000 or it's about 25,85 €
  • The tuitution fee a month : circa IDR 600.000 or it's about 46,15 €
  • Other monthly expenses : circa IDR 300.000 or it's about 23,07 €
  • Total standard cost of living monthly : about IDR 2.056.000 and it's about 158.15 €

Yogyakarta where it's small beautiful town I ever lived compared to Jakarta where is the capital city of Indonesia and it's absolutely the living cost will be more expensive than the previously town I talked aforementioned about.
In Jakarta, I was attending the small German course for just 3 months and I was preparing my departure to Berlin-Germany for examples : I had to take care of my visa and anyway attend a couple German Tests of B1 Certificate.
Therefore I wanna show my expenditures for living in capital city.
But I actually stayed at my family house or ever once in a while at my friend appartment.
so I was paring my living cost down.
Nonetheless I could assesment the standard living cost of students there.

  • A rented room per month / Miete (German Word) :  circa IDR 800.000 or it's just about 76,92 €
  • Estimate of food costs per month : approximatel IDR 1.085.000  or it's just around 83,46 €
  • The monthly Accommodation fee : about IDR 350.000 or it's about 26,92 €
  • The tuitution fee a month : circa IDR 600.000 or it's about 46,15 €
  • Other monthly expenses : circa IDR 300.000 or it's about 23,07 €
  • Total standard cost of living monthly : about IDR 3.135.000 and it's about 241,15 €


From the capital city of indonesia, I will bring you all to see the living cost in Berlin where is the capital city of Germany. Right Here I found the cheapest döner price (a Turkish dish made of roasted meat cooked on a vertical spit.) namely  about 2,50 €.

From there, the döner price had been being my measurement to establish how inexpensive is the living cost of surrounding Germany.
In Berlin, I was doing my German Course to prepare for the Aufnahmeprüfung (entrance exams) of studienkollegs.

  • A rented room per month / Miete (German Word) :  circa 170 € or it's just about 2.210.000             (If you got the studentenwohnheim)
  • Estimate of food costs per month : approximatel 55 € or it's just around IDR 715.000  
  • The monthly Accommodation fee : about 70 € or it's about IDR 910.000                                          (I bought the monatskarte) 
  • The tuitution fee a month (no Semester Ticket) : circa 35 €  or it's about IDR 455.000          (Because I taked the German course, but I got an Information from my friend that if you study there, you just paid about 240 € inclusive Berlin's Semester ticket per semester )
  • Insurance expense : circa 45 € or it's about IDR 585.000
  • Other monthly expenses : circa IDR 20 € or it's about IDR 390.000
  • Total standard cost of living monthly as a student of German course at hartnack : about 395 € and it's about IDR 5.135.000
  • Total standard cost of living monthly as a student : about 330 € and it's about IDR 4.290.000

Now we compare with my living cost when I was doing my studienkolleg                                                    in Köthen-Anhalt (East-Germany).

  • A rented room per month / Miete (German Word) :  circa 170 € or it's just about 2.210.000 
  • Estimate of food costs per month : approximatel 55 € or it's just around IDR 715.000  
  • The monthly Accommodation fee : about 0 € or it's about IDR 0                                                      (I usually walked cause the city is very small) 
  • The tuitution fee a month (no semester ticket) : circa 9 €  or it's about IDR 117.000
  • Insurance expense : circa 45 € or it's about IDR 585.000
  • Other monthly expenses : circa IDR 20 € or it's about IDR 390.000
  • Total standard cost of living monthly : about 300 € and it's about IDR 3.900.000 

And it indicates that the difference distance of living cost between in Köthen and in Jakarta is not so much far away namely just about 58,85 €.

Afterhand My studienkolleg moved from Köthen to Kaiserslautern cause I turned a cat-in-pan from technic course (T-Kurs) to business course in  , then I was continuing my study there absolutely with the different of living cost because Kaiserslautern where is situated at South-Germany has a need of more expenditures for the standard living cost. For Examples :

  • A rented room per month / Miete (German Word) :  circa 250 € or it's just about IDR 3.250.000 
  • Estimate of food costs per month : approximatel 70 € or it's just around IDR 910.000  
  • The monthly Accommodation fee : about 0 € or it's about IDR 0                                                       (I always used the semester ticket of K-Town) 
  • The tuitution fee a month (inclusive the semester ticket) : circa 22 €  or it's about IDR 286.000
  • Insurance expense : circa 45 € or it's about IDR 585.000 
  • Other monthly expenses : circa IDR 20 € or it's about IDR 390.000
  • Total standard cost of living monthly : about 407 € and it's about IDR 5.291.000

Finishing my studienkoleg programm has already been making me to have to move on the next level namely going to the university of applied sciences Bremen.
I take the bachelor programm of business of administration here. this study change had been making the differents of my living cost because Bremen is in Nord Germany, because of that Let's see how its living cost situation is now and until now.

  • A rented room per month / Miete (German Word) :  circa 190 € or it's just about IDR 2.470.000 
  • Estimate of food costs per month : approximatel 70 € or it's just around IDR 910.000  
  • The monthly Accommodation fee : about 0 € or it's about IDR 0                                                      (I always used the semester ticket of Bremen) 
  • The tuitution fee a month (inclusive the semester ticket) : circa 40 €  or it's about IDR 520.000
  • Insurance expenses : circa 80 € or it's about IDR 1.040.000                                                          (it's because of statutory health insurance and I'm student officially now, so the private Insurance is not allowed anymore)
  • Other monthly expenses : circa IDR 20 € or it's about IDR 260.000
  • Total standard cost of living monthly : about 400 € and it's about IDR 5.200.000


Advices to saving your money as student in Germany  :

  • Choose the studentenwerk being the one of your decisions because you'll never to worry about paying the heater-, Water-,Electric-Cost, and others.
  • Go to the Discounter markets (Lidl and Aldi are very recommended).
  • Choose the Bundesländer where provide so much the side job oportunities with high-salary for your income (Hamburg, Bremen, NRW, Baden, München)
  • Beginn to try the Online shoping (Ebay).
  • Don't forget to apply the Begrüssungsgeld (Welcome Money).


Summaries :

  • The tuitution cost of Germany keep still being lower and more benefit than Indonesia.
  • Döner price have been a measuring instrument to determine which Bundesländer have the cheapest standard living cost.


Enjoy your life, and don't be too frugally ! :)

1 comment:

iscab said...

Doner Kebab should have a price of 3,5 EUR at least.
Doner with a lower price has bad meat inside. You can get a stomach ache.

Post a Comment